It’s not just a month, it’s a lifelong battle
As we wind down Parkinson’s Awareness Month, we always remember that there are upwards of 500,000 people in the United States that are diagnosed with the disease and about 50,000 more will be reported each year. For those that are affected by this disease, it doesn’t go away in a month, but it’s a lifelong fight. We know that continuous education about the disease and ongoing research helps those that are impacted.
Below are some of our favorite resources for Parkinson’s. Whether you are a patient diagnosed or a family member supporting the patient, there are numerous resources to support you. You are never alone, reach out to these resources to understand the disease and fight it. Find a trusted partner in your healthcare regimen. We fight with you.
1. San Diego Parkinson's Support Group Network About Parkinson's - For Parkinson's - By Parkinson's - Our support groups are places where people with Parkinson's, their care partners, friends and relatives can meet, feel safe, exchange ideas, lend an opinion, and make new friends.
2. American Parkinson’s Disease Association provides support, education, and research to help patients and caregivers live a fuller life.
3. Michael J. Fox Foundation is helping to raise money for much-needed research to help find a cure. From ways you can get involved to a great blog chock-full of Parkinson’s-related information, the foundation is a wonderful resource.
4. Parkinson’s Disease Foundation provides information including news about the disease, information about upcoming events, insight into the latest research, and education about what to expect.
5. European Parkinson’s Disease Association advocates for the rights and needs of patients and their families.
6. The Davis Phinney Foundation is committed to supporting research programs that help deliver inspiration, information and tools that will enable people living with Parkinson’s to have more control in managing their disease.
7. The Parkinson Alliance is the umbrella organization for the Parkinson’s Unity Walk which takes place every spring in New York City. They also sponsor Team Parkinson, a fundraising racing event. You can find current news and information about research projects on their site.
8. Partners in Parkinson’s has a program that connects patients and caregivers to an advocate who will listen and offer advice and support at no cost. This is just one of the services you can find through Partners in Parkinson’s.
9. Caring.com has a support group for caregivers, family and friends of those with Parkinson’s disease. No subject is off-limits in this forum.
10. The National Parkinson Foundation has a site specifically geared to caregivers. They help carers navigate the emotional, financial, and physical challenges they may face caring for someone with Parkinson’s.
We are a team of experienced clinical kinesiologists who specialize in preventive and rehabilitative exercise for seniors. We believe that aging is part of a beautiful journey and everyone deserves to live their best life. We understand that as our bodies get older, it doesn’t function the same. As some see this as a limitation, we see it as an opportunity. With the right mindset, knowledge, tools and support we help improve quality of life, slow the progression of certain conditions and help you take control of your health.
Call us today for a free consultation. San Diego 619.263.0329 or Orange County 949.245.6239.